Body Brushing: exfoliate and detoxify
It has always amazed me that our skin is the biggest organ in the body. So it’s pretty important that we look after it. Dry body brushing is a great tool in detoxifying the skin by moving excess lymphatic fluid to our lymph nodes. It’s a lovely self-care ritual to put in place, either in the morning or the evening before you have a shower. Make sure you find a brush with a natural bristle rather than a synthetic one. You can get them with a long handle to reach all those hard to reach places, or a hand held one, it’s up to you. It takes less than 5 minutes a day and has many benefits for skin health.
Benefits of body brushing
- sheds dead skin cells and helps in the renewal of new ones, resulting in smoother skin.
- releases toxins.
- improves vascular blood circulation.
- stimulates nerve endings in the skin.
- helps reduce the appearance of cellulite.
- improves lymphatic drainage.
- eleviates clogged pores and ingrown hairs.
How to do it
- Find your dry body brush and get naked! before you hop in the shower or bath.
- Starting at your feet, gently move the brush along your skin in upward strokes towards your heart (same direction as your blood flow).
- Move up the legs, sweeping as you go.
- Next move to the stomach and change to a gentle circular motion.
- Continue onto the back and arms, again brushing towards the heart.
- Try not to press too hard, particularly on any sensitive areas of skin. Your skin will be pink from increased circulation but we don’t want fire engine red!
- Hop in the shower and wash away all the dead skin cells.
- Dry off and moisturise your skin.
And that’s it! Just a few minutes a day to help your skin detoxify and have you feeling the benefits of smooth skin. It’s actually quite a mindful process and a nice little bit of self-care just for you. Try it out and see if you feel the benefits.